TreeHugger

Monday, June 11, 2012

sunshine and rain, a perfect combination

Well the warm weather is now in full swing and we've had just the right amount of rain over the last week or so to make everything just want to grow, grow, grow. Unfortunately,  because of this nice warm spring my spinach has suffered in return, as well my beets have been poor to germinate. This is the perk of growing such a variety of produce though. A couple crops may suffer here and there but there are always others that are thriving to take their place. (Knock on wood). However as I write this I think back to earlier this morning when I encountered a good number of cucumber beetles on my zucchini and cucumber plants. I had hoped that by planting them in a new location, at the very least, the bugs would be stalled in their arrival. Wishful thinking I'm afraid. At least I have these crops right out my front door and I can keep a much closer eye on the problem, and hopefully lick it before she gets too out of control. Fingers crossed.



 beets
the tomato plants are thriving nicely under the conditions. 
 onions have really taken off
 row covers protect my radishes from the flea beetle who likes to eat away at the leafy ends
 my zucchini has taken off over the weekend. many have begun fruiting
the first batch of peas just about ready for harvest
                                       
I've been harvesting the garlic scapes over this past week, some sold as fresh and others have been packed up and pickled for later enjoyment. 
 the view out of my living room window
 pickled garlic scapes
 chopping asparagus for pickling
 the final product


No comments: